Aftercare Instructions Following Your Endovenous Laser Treatment
Instructions Following Your Laser Procedure
- Following any laser procedure, put the compression stockings on the treated leg and continue to wear them for the next 24 hours or until the next evening. At that time, wear the stockings only during the daytime for the next 3 weeks. If the stockings cause discomfort, take them off but try to wear them as much as possible.
- The bandage over the treatment site can be removed the next morning or replaced by a regular band aid if the bandage comes off before that time. You may shower the morning after your procedure.
- Walking and exercise is highly encouraged to help decrease discomfort, maximize the blood flow and promotes healing.
- Your treated leg(s) may not feel normal during the first 3-4 weeks. The soreness, aching, tightness, bruising, etc. are a normal part of the treatment process and will go away.
- One week after the start of your treatment, we will check your leg for blood clots and also inject any other large veins inside your leg that need to be treated, with the help of ultrasound guidance.
- Immediately after your laser treatment, and for about one hour afterwards, you may have some blood tinged liquid weeping out of the small puncture holes in your leg. This liquid is just numbing liquid with a little blood intermixed.
- The numbing medicine you receive during the laser treatment will last about 2 hours. After that time, expect some soreness, aching, tightness, bruising, swelling, etc. If you need anything for pain, try Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, or Tylenol, and/or apply an ice pack to the area.
- Some people can develop a red streak in the distribution of the vein(s) that were treated soon after treatment. This is normal and is a direct result of the inflammation in the vein underlying the skin. It will go away as you heal.
- You should never get a fever (temp > 101 F) from the treatment unless you have a wound infection, which is very rare. If you have a temperature and no other sign of illness like the flu, cold, etc., call Sheen Vein and Cosmetics office at 314.842.1441.
- Treated veins may not go away immediately. You may even feel cord-like veins underlying your skin for 6-8 months. This is scar tissue and will go away with time.
- You may lift weights immediately after the start of treatment, but do not over do it for the first 3-4 weeks.
- You should avoid hot tubs for the first 3-4 weeks. The hot water will cause your veins to dilate and can reverse treatment.
- It is important for the safety and success of treatment that you follow up according to treatment protocol. Please do not miss your follow up appointments.